(Minghui.org) A single mother in Qingdao City, Shandong Province was sentenced to a three-year prison term for practicing Falun Gong, a spiritual and meditation discipline that has been persecuted by the Chinese communist regime since 1999.

Ms. Sui Ying's ten-year-old son was deeply traumatized by her imprisonment, and struggled to cope.

Ms. Sui, 44, was arrested on April 10, 2018 after being reported for talking to people about Falun Gong. She was held at the Pudong Detention Center for four days and released on bail on April 14. 

The Huangdao District Court issued a summons on May 29, 2019, ordering her to go to the courthouse to sign a document about her case. After she refused to show up, the judge ordered the police to take her back into custody at thePudong Detention Center. 

The Minghui website recently confirmed that she was sentenced to a three-year prison term. The timing of her sentencing is still being investigated.

Life Renewed by Falun Gong—Persecuted for Speaking Out for It

Ms. Sui had an accident in 1997 that caused herniated disks. She became unable to care for herself. She was only 22 and had just graduated from college at the time. 

While she was at the lowest point in her life, her aunt introduced Falun Gong to her. Three days after she took up the practice, she recovered and went back to work. Many of her other problems, including gastritis, rhinitis, and migraines also disappeared. 

Ms. Sui also credits the practice for broadening her heart and enabling her to be more tolerant and considerate of others.

After the Chinese communist regime ordered the persecution of Falun Gong in 1999, Ms. Sui went to Beijing to appeal for the right to practice it on October 1, 2000. She was arrested and detained for a month in the Dashan Detention Center, where she was tortured and forced to do unpaid labor.

She returned to Beijing in 2000 and was arrested for doing the Falun Gong exercises at Tiananmen Square. She was later sentenced to two years in the Shandong Province No. 2 Women’s Prison.

The authorities transferred her to a local brainwashing center for further persecution at the end of her term, and demanded that her parents pay for her living expenses and tuition there.